Sunday, October 21, 2012

A farm never sleeps


This weekend found us finishing up projects and repairing others.  Unfortunately we never seem to finish all we set out to do.  Our plan was to fix a broken flip up door on the bottom of a chicken coop, rebuild a warped door on the chicken tractor, fix some broken face boards on the well house and rebuild the dog run that out precious little 2 lb Chihuahua keeps climbing out of. 

We didn’t even finish half of what we had planned. We were able to rebuild the dog run.  The ducks were happy to have their area back to themselves I am sure.  Two playful pups are not really their cup of tea. Thank goodness little Francis is still contained, so I think his climbing days are over.  We went from 2 ft fence to 4 ft fencing. Hope this one lasts.

We were able to rebuild the door for the chicken tractor.  That was a quick and simple job. The hard part was we had to rearrange some of the wood and hardware on the front of the tractor.  I like the way it looks now.  I get to watch the chicks since the door is a frame with chicken wire.

About the only other thing we accomplished other than enjoying a beautiful weekend was our compost bins.  We finally started working on them.  We have been piling up hay and chicken manure for 2 years now, but never really ended up with anything usable.  We built what will be our first section of the compost system, and we filled it up too. We will have to add on to it as soon as I clean the chicken coops this week. Sounds fun, right? Funny thing is… I actually enjoy it. 

Goats are doing great.  Neither one were used to being messed with. The younger one (Bonnie) is now sweet as can be. She will jump up on me like a dog at feed time (no it doesn’t hurt), and calls me over there every time I am outside. I love it! Fancy on the other hand is still quite shy.  She is just beginning to ask for attention. She is eating out of our hands, and will only allow me to touch her head.  If I try and rub her head she still pulls away, but at least it is progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment