Monday, September 14, 2015

Soap Making!


In the last few months I have been teaching myself how to make soap. For a very long time I was actually scared to make soap for one simple reason: working with LYE. Yep, that tiny three letter word… before I had read a lot of articles about how dangerous lye is. Yes, lye is dangerous, but if you respect the fact that you are working with a chemical and are careful, nothing can happen. Not too long ago I realized I had done so many different DIY projects, but never made soap. I told myself I was going to do more research and did. Instead of looking up all of the scary articles, I looked up recipes (simple ones.) I read them completely through and found that soap making is a simple process.

Something else I also something else I want to share with you guys is common soap myths. The first, soap making is not difficult. Second, that soap can be made without lye. Technically, if you want to avoid the mixing of the lye you can purchase melt and pour bases.  Third, that it requires a bunch of different expensive equipment. Soap making only requires a few different things that are not general house hold items. My favorite recipe for soap making on requires a Crockpot, hand blender (this is the most expensive part, but on Amazon I bought one for less than $15.00) wooden spoon, mold, measuring cup, gloves, and goggles (I do not wear goggles) and a glass jar to mix to the lye in. Some people prefer to buy separate soap making equipment, but you do not have to. Although, I did buy separate stuff because my mom was didn’t want me to use her stuff and wear it out.  

Now that those myths are straightened out I hope that you guys will give soap making a chance. I am very glad I did! It may take time like it did for me. Many many years ago, my sister and I wanted to make soap, but it never happened because we believed all of those myths that I just mentioned. We were going to purchase an expensive soap kit and everything. When I finally decided to make soap, I purchased all of my ingredients separately (not in a kit.) I bought my lye, mold, and hand blender from Amazon, and the rest at Wal-Mart.
Below I have included links to some very good and informing websites. One is on how to use lye safely and the other is my favorite simply recipe. There are more simple ones with only lard, lye, and water, if you prefer.


No comments:

Post a Comment